Honduran Driver’s License
One of the best ways to enjoy Roatan is to drive around the island and take in the beautiful sights. To drive a vehicle on Roatan Island, you must have a valid driver’s license from your home country and an international driving permit. Nevertheless, you will need to acquire a Honduran driver’s license if you intend to stay on the Island for more than three-months (a tourist visa is 90 days). This can cost about $20 or 500 LPs.
To apply for a Honduran driver’s license, you will need to go to the police station. Here, you will be asked to fill a written questionnaire in Spanish. Besides paying the fee, you will be required to provide certain documents, including:
International driver’s license
Two passport photos
Honduran Cedula (The resident I.D card)
The police will also send you to various locations to get a physical examination that includes a blood test and an eye exam. Once you have completed the forms and have all the documents at hand, take them to the police station.
After checking the signatures and stamps, they will take your fingerprints and a photo of you. Once everything is done, you will be provided with a Honduran driver’s license.
Ensure that you carry your valid driver’s license, insurance documents, and car registration at all times. Also, carry along your phone while driving in case of emergency. However, use of a mobile phone while driving is prohibited and if required to use one always use it on hands-free. You should especially be cautious during the rainy season, from September to December, since rockslides are prevalent.
Another driving tip is to keep your windows closed and doors locked to keep robbers away. Furthermore, you should drive cautiously since the Honduras roads are poorly marked and poorly lit.
Road Traffic Rules for Driving in Honduras
To drive a car in Honduras, one must be over 18 years of age.
Driving in Honduras is on the right-hand side of the road.
The maximum driving speed limit for urban areas is 40km/hr and 89km/hr outside urban areas.
It is prohibited to use a mobile phone while driving.
All motorcycle riders should wear a helmet.
Drivers and passengers must wear a seatbelt.
It is a requirement to have a car warning triangle, tools, and spare tire in the car.
It is not permitted to park in sidewalks, driveways, pedestrian crossings, or less than 5 meters of intersections.
To rent a car in Honduras, one must be above 21 years and have held a driving license for at least two years.
Driving Safety Tips
– Carry your driver’s license at all times when driving.
– Do not leave valuable items in your car.
– Make sure when driving your vehicle, you also have the ‘matricula’ or registration card.
– Police and road checks are common in Roatan, please be courteous, polite and patient with the local police. Do not run road blocks.
– Do not drink and drive, or accept a ride with someone that has been drinking and is driving.
– It is illegal to drive without seat belts or for the driver to use a cell phone unless it is used in hands-free mode.
– Be careful driving at dusk or after dark as pedestrians do walk along the side of the road.
– Be careful at all times especially near schools and day care centers during daylight hours as children walk to and from school along the side of the road.
– After rain the roads can be very slippery and you should reduce your speed and take extra caution when driving.
– There are no white lines in the median strip marked on the roads in Roatan, please be careful overtaking on corners and hills and when passing other vehicles.
– Avoid giving people rides or a lift that you do not know.
– If you are involved in an accident, do not move your vehicle until the police arrive.
Sign up for our Roatan Real Estate Newsletter.